National Service Scheme ( NSS )
National Service Scheme ( NSS )
Magadh Mahila College has had a long tradition of social activism. Its Social Service Society was originally called ‘Aloke’. In the seventies it was reconstituted as the NSS under the scheme launched by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
NSS started with the initial objective of ‘education through community service. Now it has been restated aptly as “Personality Development of the Students Through Community Service”. Two types of activities are conducted by the NSS viz.
- Regular activity (120 hours in a year)
- Special camping programme of 10 days duration.
The overall objective of the scheme is to sensitize students to various social issues. We do this through seminars, workshops and social service programmes. The major areas in which the NSS has been recently active are: plantation of trees, Adult Education, reading and writing for the visually handicapped, assisting economically weaker students with their schoolwork, visiting old age homes, organizing special camps for different purposes on different occasions etc. It is currently associated with the the Red Cross (for blood donations) and various NGO’s working on AIDS awareness. The NSS is also responsible for organizing debate competition, literary events, musical events etc. at inter-college level.
Magadh Mahila College has a long tradition of social activism. NSS started with the initial objective of ‘Education through community service’. The overall objective of the scheme is to sensitize students with various social issues. We do this through seminars, workshops and social service programmes. The major areas in which NSS has been active in recent years are: Plantation of Trees, Adult Education, Reading and Writing of visually handicapped, Financial assistance to weaker students, Visiting old-age homes and organising special camps for inculcating social values.
The officer-in charge of NSS unit of the college is Dr. Kiran Mala, Dr. Binay Kumar Bimal and Dr. Archana Katiyar. They have organised several special programmes and camps in the session 2017-18. On the occasion of Children’s Day, the students’ of NSS distributed reading materials among the slum-dwellers of Anta-ghaat region. A Special Camp was also organized from 21.02.2018-25.02.2018 to spread awareness on several social issues
- Blood Donation camp was organized by HDFC Bank in the campus on 07/02/17 for interested students. Out of 150 candidates, only … were allowed to donate blood.
- From 01.08.17-15.08.2017, Swachhta – Pakhwada was organized by NSS under which events like Tree Plantation and Essay writing competition were held.
- Pre-Independence Day Parade Camp Organized on…08/17, students were selected from several colleges under Patna University like Magadh Mahila College, Vanijya College, Patna Women’s College and Patna Science College participated in the programme. Shri Vinay Kumar and Shri Vijay Kumar from NSS Head Office and Shri Atul Aditya Pandey from Patna University present for the selection procedure.
- On 15/08/17 a cleanliness drive was organized by NSS Volunteers in the college campus in the guidance of ArchnaKatiyar.
- On 15/08/17 on the Occasion of Independence Day 30 volunteers took part in the parade.
- On 06/09/17 during the celebration of Swachhta-Pakhwada an essay competition was held on the topic “ Mai Swachhata ke liye kya Krungi”.
- On 08/09/2017 on the occasion of Literacy Day the NSS volunteers visited the slum areas of Anta Ghat, Patna, to make them aware of the importance of Education.
- On 18/09/17 in collaboration with RED CROSS SOCIETY Blood donation camp was organized. All most 32 Students donate their blood.
- On 19/09/17 Speech Competition was held on the Topic “Hum Yudh Nahi Shanti Chahte hain”.
- On 14/11/17 on the occasion of Children’s Day the NSS volunteers visited the slum areas of Anta Ghat, Patna and distribute stationary and refreshment among slums children’s.
- On 19/11/17 During the celebration of “Communal Harmony Week”, Speech Competition and Poster making competition was held on the Topic “Communal Harmony”.
- On 02/12/17 on the 0casion of Aids Day The NSS volunteers formed a human chain on the main road outside the College holding placards and posters related to Aids Awareness.
NSS 2018 REPORT
- On12/01/18 On the occasion of National Youth Day celebration Inter College speech competition was organized on the topic- “Speech of Vivekanand” in which Shreya Sen, BA,1st Year got the 3rd prize.
- From 21/02/18 to 2727/02/18 Special camp for new NSS Volunteer was organized. The theme of the camp was “Baal Vivah Evam Dahej Unmulan”.
- On 29/08/18 , a Pre-Republic Day parade was organized in the premises of Magadh Mahila College in which the volunteers from Vanijya College, Patna Women’s College and Magadh Mahila College participated. The camp was organized on University level where the students were selected on the basis of March-past and interview.