The Department of Economics was founded in 1946. Mrs. Ramola Nandi was the founder head of the department. She became the Principal of the college (1947 – 31 Dec 1972). Dr. (Mrs.) Asha Lata Bose took over charge as the Head of Department in 1951 and also served the college as the Principal (Jan 1972 – 31 Dec 1977). Subsequently Dr Maya Prasad (Oct 1973), Dr. Usha Devi (Feb 1989) and Mrs Bharati Bagchi (Dec 1994) were designated as heads of the department. Dr Asha Singh took over charge as Head in October, 2000 and is continuing till date. The Postgraduate teaching started in the Department in 1984. Department of Economics is the mentor of two self financing/vocational courses e.g. B. Com. and BBA which started in 2002 and 2004 respectively. The Department of Economics works in tune with the mission and objective of the college by providing quality instruction to students and helps them adopt critical, creative and research aptitudes along with profound social commitment and capability to contribute to socio-economic development of the nation.
This department was awarded with ‘STAR DEPARTMENT’ by UGC, New Delhi under CPE Programme in November – 2011